MSC and Maersk have mutually agreed to terminate their present 2M alliance in January 2025.

The alliance was introduced in 2015 with the aim of ensuring competitive and cost-efficient operations on the Asia-Europe, trans-Atlantic and trans-Pacific trades. The 2M agreement has a minimum term of 10 years with a two-year notice period of termination. The dissolution of the largest partnership in the industry - as MSC and Maersk are the largest and second-largest shipping lines in terms of tonnage capacity now - could have an extensive impact on the market, such as the formations of other alliances and the fluctuation of freight rates.

Today, MSC boasts a shipping capacity of 4.63 million TEUs, holding a share of 17.6%, and Maersk, 4.24 million TEUs, 16.1%, for a total of 8.86 million TEUs, 33.7%. They are, in addition, expecting to add 1.83 million TEUs and 358,000 TEUs more, respectively.

In recent years, differences in business strategies have been more significant between MSC, which is rapidly enlarging its fleet, and Maersk, which is turning into a comprehensive logistics service provider while refraining from increasing vessels sharply. They have launched so many non-alliance services as to spur speculations that they might dissolve their alliance.




  • Statistics
Copyright© 2000- Japan International Freight Forwarders Association Inc. All Rights Reserved.